Have you ever considered what perfect health is? Perfect health is reflected by a supple body, (join Tai Chi), smooth skin, (have a Mary Kay facial), sparkling eyes, an excellent digestive system, and a feeling of well-being.
Here are a few simple guidelines to help you get to that perfect health.
- Order Food To Go. You can reduce the fat and calorie content by eating side orders of fresh fruits and vegetables found at home.
- Avoid Buffets. If you want to keep your fast food AND your good health, avoid all –you-can-eat buffets.
- Forego the Fries. Remember a super-sized serving of french fries may have as many as 30 grams of fat. A normal person will eat 85-100 grams of fat in a whole day.
So if you order the fries, that means you are eating one third of the fat grams for the entire day in one serving.
Stick to the “Light” Menu. Most fast food restaurants offer “light” menus and low-fat selections.
Don’t be Afraid to Special Order. Ask for condiments to be served on the side. A single tablespoon of regular mayonnaise or salad dressing contains about 9 grams of fat and 100 calories.
- Fear the Fryer. While fish and chicken entrees sound safe, remember that fried versions put them in the same class as burgers.
- Take Charge of You Plate. The average restaurant meal contains around 1,500 calories, so eat half of your meal and save the other half for the next day’s lunch.
Drink Water. Don’t be afraid to drink plenty of water. Drinking a glass of water before your meal will reduce the chances of overeating.
Paula Mann RN
Advocates On Call
4146 8th Court