A stroke occurs when a blood vessel in the brain is blocked or bursts. Without blood and the oxygen it carries, part of the brain begins to die. The part of the body controlled by the damaged area of the brain can’t work properly. Brain damage can occur within minutes so it is important to know the symptoms of stroke and to act FAST. The American Heart Assoc. reports that 795,000 people will suffer a new or recurrent stroke each year with roughly 600,000 of them being first time attacks. 1 in 17 deaths in the US are due to stroke. There are 2 types of stroke. The first being an ischemic stroke. That is the more prevalent type. In the ischemic stroke, a clot stops circulation to a certain area of the brain. The second type is hemorrhagic stroke. That is when a blood vessel bursts and blood leaks into the brain. 87% of the strokes that occur are ischemic and the other 13% are hemorrhagic.
TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE WHEN IT COMES TO STROKE!
KNOW THE 7 WARNING SIGNS OF STROKE!
- Dizziness – tripping or falling.
- Headache – sudden, severe and feels different.
- Blurred Vision – loss or blurring of vision then your vision comes back.
- Double Vision – you see double for a while or have vision problems in both eyes.
- Difficulty Understanding – you hear words but do not understand what they mean.
- Numbness – numbness or weakness of the face, arm, hand, or leg usually one sided.
- Difficulty Speaking – either the inability to say sounds correctly, may be slurred speech, or the inability or put words together to say something.
IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS, CALL 911
F=Face- Smile is the face even?
A=Arm-are both arms even when holding them straight out?
S=Speech- Does it sound strange? And T=Time-Every second counts, call 911Share